The primary focus of BAFA’s activities is fostering economic development via Restart. What makes Restart unique is that it is a non-profit social enterprise which sells services to fund some of its activities. In 2020, Restart:
- Produced an updated Investors Navigator to Bosnia and Herzegovina, providing up-to-date and relevant information concerning real-estate, labor market, accelerators, incubators & co-sharing workspaces, banking & financing (available upon request).
- Produced Country Profile of Bosnia and Herzegovina promoting BiH as a new hot outsourcing destination.
- Expanded our team by two staff people.
- Organized it’s 5th annual Reconnect event for diaspora businesspeople, attended virtually by over 150 participants from 21 different countries.
- Registered a new business (d.o.o.) in order to better enable it to sell services and take steps to becoming financially sustainable.
- Received a grant from Market Makers to position Restart as a business process outsourcing (BPO) matchmaker and intermediary for directing foreign companies to already existing suppliers of business processes and knowledge services in BiH as the next outsourcing destination.
- Entered year 4 of cooperation with USAID’s diaspora invest project, focused primarily on the diasporainvest.ba portal which in 2020 reached 1,058 registered users and 51,841 unique visitors.
In 2020, BAFA also launched the #BiH-AmericansVote campaign to assist US citizens living in Bosnia and Bosnian-Americans in the US to get timely information about how to vote. In 2020 and we believe as a result of our efforts with prominent Bosnian-American organizations and individuals to get the word out, and media appearances, the number of votes sent in via the US Embassy in Sarajevo increased substantially. #BiH-AmericansVote Voter Registration & Turnout Campaign
BAFA is a co-founder of Restart. Restart operates as a business embassy for the diaspora. We handle business requests and facilitate investments coming from the diaspora network and their contacts around the world.
Restart aims to serve entrepreneurs, business-oriented individuals, and municipalities in Bosnia and Herzegovina (BiH) needing better international networks, a better information base, as well as consulting regarding direct and indirect investments. Restart reaches out also to all other members of the BiH diaspora who desire to directly take part in the economic and social transformation of their homeland.
The LEADER Project
LEADER empowers promising entrepreneurs in Bosnia and Herzegovina to learn business fundamentals through the following modules: Business Plan Development, Opportunity Recognition, Business Strategy, Marketing Strategy and Tactics, Entrepreneurial Finance (Financial Statements, Cash Flow, Valuation), Operations, Managing People, Communications and Action Planning. Through this approach, LEADER aims to enable high-potential individuals to develop local business solutions that create opportunities for their communities.